Moschino Resort + Men’s S/S 2019
Designer and Creative Director Jeremy Scott brought a kaleidoscope of color and eccentric entertainment to the Moschino Resort and Men’s Spring/Summer 2019 show. Beneath the giant red-and-blue-striped tent Oribe Hair Care Co-Founder Oribe Canales played off the spectacular circus theme with an array of styles—from colorful and creatively cut wigs adorned with eye-catching hair pieces and hats to a tight twist that climbed up the back of the head. We spoke to the modern-day fashion legend Jeremy Scott to find out about the world of wonder he created in the middle of Burbank, California.
What was the inspiration for this season’s collection?
I was inspired by the circus in the context of the silent films of the '20s, the cinematic Felini films and my own memories growing up. I wanted to capture the different characters you find there—the ringmaster, the trapeze artist and, of course, the clowns.
What were this season's special design elements?
I worked on fun, new volumes for the show, including puckered tulle that created a fur-like look when coming down the runway. I purposesly worked with a large color scheme to capture the various elements of the circus, some somber and some vibrant. I love mixing the contrasting feelings to create something dynamic.
How did it feel to collaborate with Oribe Canales on the hairstyling portion of the show?
It was an absolute dream come true to work with Oribe. He's a legend and a gentleman. I love all of the amazing moments he has created throughout his wonderful career, and it's a treat to have had the chance to work with one of fashion's all-time great hairdressers.
Get the Hair Look—Tight Twist:
- Collect the hair at the crown and pin out of the way.
- Create three sections using the remaining hair from the top of the ear to the nape of the neck. Using Rock Hard Gel, secure the center section into a ponytail and secure just under the crown.
- Apply Dry Texturizing Spray throughout the two remaining sections. Backcomb each section at the root then smooth each section into the center.
- Twist hair up and secure tightly with pins. Smooth the ends of the hair into a tight roll.
- Release the top section and backcomb for height at the crown, smoothing it back for a “Grace Jones” feel.
- Twist the remaining hair down the center seam, securing tightly with pins. Set the entire look with Superfine Hair Spray.